In this episode, we explore why resistance training is so beneficial in martial arts, how to get started, equipment to consider and what to watch for so you can get the most out of the time while reducing your risk for injury.
Resistance Training for Martial Arts – Episode 158
Topics from today’s episode:
- What is resistance training?
- Benefits of resistance training for martial artists.
- Places resistance training shows up in martial arts
- Why martial artists need more physical conditioning.
- How often should you train like this?
- How to avoid getting “too big.”
- How to train and what to train.
- Training at a gym vs at home and what equipment to use.
- How to incorporate resistance training into a martial arts class.
- The importance of keeping the training varied, but not too varied.
- Why full range of motion movement is important.
- Training for power, speed, and strength.
- Why martial artists do well with physical conditioning training.
You should check out the blog post we wrote to accompany this episode at whistlekick.com, titled The Top 10 Bodyweight Movements For a Martial Arts Class. You might also be interested in Episode 56 – Martial Arts Conditioning